Monday, September 21, 2009

Dr. Poon: My Lean Pork Burgers

I am always looking at ways that I can re-create the meals I use to all within keeping with the Dr. Poon's diet. I am finding that it is getting easier and easier to create some of my old time favorites. I think this is why it is making it easier to follow this diet without too many bumps along the road.

Who doesn't love a good burger. I know I do so tonight I created a burger that was all about taste and very low fat. It even cost a total of $6.50 to create 5 burgers with all the fixings. I served endive and mushrooms for myself and made a chic pea salad for my husband. There was enough for both of us plus a little extra for tomorrow's lunch. All that for about $3.25 each.

My Lean Pork Burgers




Ingredients:
  • 500 kg Lean ground pork (other ground meat can be substituted)
  • 1 stalk spring green onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 4 teaspoons President's Choice No Salt Added Roasted Garlic Seasoning Blend
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed chili peppers (optional)
  • Black Pepper (to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon French's Honey Mustard or Plain Yellow Mustard
  • Fresh chopped parsley
  • Olive Oil

Directions:

1. Chop green onion and garlic cloves add them to a large bowl.

2. Add in the Garlic Seasoning, chili's, and mustard.

3. Once all ingredients are in the bowl add the ground pork and mix by hand. Add the black pepper to taste and the chopped parsley. Mix again making sure all ingredients are mixed into the meat.

4. Make patties out of the meat. Usually gives 4 - 5 patties for this quantity. More if making smaller patties.

5. Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to a pan and wait until it is hot. Add your burgers and cook for about 9-10 minutes on each side. Make sure the meat is cook though out.

These are excellent and very low in fat. I always add a little yellow mustard on the side to dip the burgers into as it tastes better with a little mustard. I usually use up about 1 teaspoon per burger.

Remember to leave feedback by leaving a comment. I'd love to hear what you think about the recipe.

No comments: