Sunday, September 13, 2009

Dr. Poon: My Portuguese Shrimp Recipe

I have been getting many requests for recipes that I cook on the Dr. Poon's diet so I have decided to start adding these recipes to my blog (along with pictures) so that everyone can just check in from time to time instead of me e-mailing everyone back with the same recipes. This way in cuts down my reply time and everyone is able to get the recipes they want and also reply and let me know how they enjoyed them.

Here's my first one. One thing I missed about my cooking is my Portuguese style shrimp. They are delicious and I have just changed a few things and still make them for my hubby and I. I really find they taste the same. I add a nice greens salad and there's a meal for 2.


Portuguese Shrimp

Bag of Shrimp (purchase the black ones as these are not cooked and then frozen, pink ones are already cooked)
2 Stalks of Spring Onion (Green Onion) sliced
3 - 4 Cloves Garlic
Lemon Zest from one Lemon
Lemon Juice from one Lemon
2 - 3 dashes of Frank's Red Hot Sauce
2-3 tablespoons Olive Oil
Parsley
Black Pepper

Directions:
In a sauce pan add olive oil, garlic, spring onion and cook for about 3 minutes.
Add lemon zest, juice from one lemon and franks red hot sauce (add less if you would like). Continue cooking for another 3 - 4 minutes.
Add shrimp and cook them until they turn pink and are fully cooked but not over cooked.
Add black pepper to taste and parsley.

Notes: Adding the lemon to the olive oil and cooking everything together creates a beautiful thick sauce. If you like a more lemony flavour just add more lemon.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Carolyn said...

Thanks so much for posting this, Veronica! I'm going to try making it up tomorrow night! I honestly can't wait. I'm itching to try it now... you know if I had the shrimp ready to go. :p

Carolyn said...

It was wonderful! Keep those diet friendly recipes coming :D I'll be sure to share mine with you too!

Waterdown Nick said...

This looks yummy! Is it a phase one meal?

Veronica said...

@ Carolyn - I am so glad you enjoyed them. These are certainly a treat.

Veronica said...

@ Waterdown Nick - Yes, these are a phase 1 meal. I would say have these on a Friday night or even a Saturday night as a treat to yourself. You're allowed 5 - 6 shrip depending on the size. I always make a huge salad with olive oil, rice vinegar and black pepper. Oh! it's so yummy!

simona said...

Veronica, you have such wonderful recipes. I have a question for you. What phase can these be made in? Are you recipes good for any phase?
Simona

Veronica said...

@ simona - this recipe was created for phase 1 as are the rest of my recipes on this blog. You can certainly enjoy them on phase 2 but they were created with phase 1 in mind. Enjoy!